Sustainable tourism, wildlife and heritage supporting the transformation of the Ugandan society from a peasant to a modern and prosperous Country.
To develop and promote the tourism, wildlife and heritage resources for enhancement of Uganda as a competitive and preferred tourist destination, with accelerated sector contribution to the national economy.
Mandate: Policy determination, formulation and implementation, coordination and development of strategies for sustainable tourism development in the country.
The functions of the Department of Tourism include:
- To plan and develop the tourism sector with due regard to the economic, social, environmental and cultural consequences of such
- To formulate, promote and monitor implementation of policies for sustainable growth of the sector, in consultation with the private sector and line institutions of Government.
- To supervise, monitor, regulate and coordinate the sector.
- To ensure compliance with best practices (environmental, social and economic) by tourists, tour operators and owners of the tourist facilities.
- To initiate, develop and promote domestic, regional and international cooperation in the field of tourism.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of the policies, legislation, national plans and guidelines on Tourism.
- To support and guide the Uganda Tourism Board and the Hotel and Tourism Training Institute in performing their tasks.
- To develop and diversify the tourism products.
- To support training of staff in the tourism industry and development of business development services for tourism in cooperation with the private sector among others.
- To collect, process and distribute tourism statistics
- To liaise with international organizations and any other relevant entities involved in tourist development.
- To create and ensure an enabling environment for tourism development.
- To create awareness of the tourism industry.